Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Storm Before the Calm

Wow!  We are down to single digits, 9 days before we depart.  Its quite interesting that the weather is nicely coinciding with the countdown to departure, for example it was 9 degrees this morning.  9 degrees-9 days NEAT!

Things have been a whirlwind lately.  I have been working on everything from setting up a bank account that does not charge ATM fees ANYWHERE...for any bank, to opening a new credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, to ensuring our auto-pay is working for our bill payments.  I have also been trying to figure out all of the items I need to jam into a backpack for 4 months, as well as helping to plan, prep and host a Bon Voyage party last weekend.  This is all outside of a full time job and everyday tasks that don't stop just cause you are planning a world trip.  Needless to say, it has been hectic. 

In this time it has become evident to my wife and I that we haven't even been able to begin to get excited for the trip because we are so focused on the trip and all the preparations.  All of things we have been doing to prepare for this adventure have taken center stage and the grandeur and excitement have been pushed to the background.  We are hoping that next week will allow us to begin our transition, wrap things up and really begin to get excited for our journey.  I mean tomorrow is our last of work...FOR FOUR MONTHS!  Hopefully that will begin to sink in soon.

I had an introspective moment tonight as I walked out of the office into the bitter cold on this, my last work night for FOUR MONTHS.   I looked up and saw the moon.  For a moment I was unsure about all I was leaving behind.  I was questioning the decision to pick up and leave all of our friends and family.  I was also curious if it was smart professionally to leave a good job and chance being without on our return?  I was overwhelmingly unsure!
The feeling quickly passed, and I suddenly became incredibly happy.  I realized just how amazing it will be and how lucky I am to see that same moon in so many amazing places around the world as we live OUR dream for the next 4 months.

Here is to having the world as my design studio, if only for a short period of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment